Friday, April 21, 2006

Huh.

After my marathon knitting on Tuesday, it didn't take much time to finish the first on my boyfriend's socks on Wednesday. As soon as I did the ribbing on the cuff, I was glad we decided to go for plain socks because the ribbing was just...weird. I don't know if I can actually say that the yarn doesn't rib well, but that's almost what it seems like. It stretches out, but doesn't spring back like ribbing is supposed to.

A couple of things about this yarn:
1. This is a heavy yarn. It has only 172 yards per 50 grams. Most yarns of a similar thickness (I'm thinking KnitPicks Essential and Lang Jawoll) have over 200 yards for this weight.
2. It's machine washable and machine dryable. This has got to have some affect on how the yarn behaves.
3. The gauge is listed as as 6.5 to 7.5 stitches per inch on 3.0 - 3.25 mm needles. My gauge is 9 stitches per inch on 2.25 mm needles.

The conclusion? Sock yarn is fingering weight yarn, but fingering weight yarn is not necessarily sock yarn.

On the bright side, it's a gorgeous color and it's darn soft. I pointed out the problem with the ribs when he was trying on the first sock, but all he had to say was that they were really soft and warm. It's a good thing that not everyone is as picky as I am.

Oh, and about the comercial. It was Ver!z0n.

No comments: