Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Itty Bitty Sock Pattern!

Alrighty, here's the pattern I worked out for the Itty Bitty Sock pattern. I can't think of any actual use for these except as Christmas tree ornaments or package tags, but who needs a use for things?

Let me know if you try this out and find any problems with the pattern or anything that could be made clearer. I'd also like to see pictures too!


Materials:
Sock weight yarn
U.S. size 2 DPNs (5)
C crochet hook or tapestry needle



Directions:
Cast on 16 stitches, 4 each on 4 needles.
*K1, P1* for one round.
Knit 10 rounds.
Work short-row heel as follows:
K7, bring yarn in front and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, P6, bring yarn in back and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, K5, bring yarn in front and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, P4, bring yarn in back and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, K3, bring yarn in front and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, P2, bring yarn in back and slip the next stitch.
(Note: when picking up the wrapped stitches on the short rows, you can pick up the wraps and knit them together with the stitches, but I found that it can be difficult to manuever the needles with this few stitches, so I opted not too.)
Slip the first stitch, K3.
P4.
K5.
P6.
K7.
P8.
Knit 8 rounds.
Work short-row toe as follows:
K7, bring yarn in front and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, P6, bring yarn in back and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, K5, bring yarn in front and slip the next stitch.
Slip the first stitch, P4, bring yarn in back and slip the next stitch.
(See note on picking up wraps for the heel.)
Slip the first stitch, K5.
P6.
K7.
P8.
To finish, you can either use kitchener stitch to join the toe to the top of the foot, or thread the end of the yarn through the loops, alternating between stitches from the toe and from the foot or the sock.
Turn the sock inside out, weave in ends.
Turn the sock right side out and you're done!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you rock, marion - thanks so much for posting the pattern!

i am going to try it with bigger yarn & needles and try to make some for my duo.

chris said...

Gosh, your scarf is just BEAUTIFUL!! I love that natural cashmere color and the pattern is gorgeous! I'm sure your mom will love her beautiful new Picovoli- what a lucky girl! And thanks for such a cute bitty sock pattern. They'll make perfect gift tags! You're making awesome progress on your Holiday list- I'm envious! :-)

Kaity said...

Eeeek! It's sooooo cute! I'm totally making a pair to put on my gift exchange package for our par-tay this weekend. I wish you could come!!

Marion said...

Kaity - I wish I could come this weekend too! I'm sure y'all will have lots of fun.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on the scarf, the socks, and the Picovoli!

Megan said...

Gorgeous scarf! And I can't believe you managed to knit a sock that tiny; I'm impressed. Thanks for the pattern, though... I might manage it someday!

Anonymous said...

marion, just found another use for your adorable mini-socks... holiday cards! here's a link to a pic http://www.creativeknittingmagazine.com/pages/features_details.php?_id=98