Thursday, November 17, 2005

"The Math Team Can't Count"

Or so claims my calculus teacher, because every time we get on the bus to go to a competition, she has us count off to double check how many people are on the bus. And inevitably, someone messes up. It's pretty funny. Yesterday, there was only a mistake leaving to go to the competition, but it was bad enough that we had to start over.

It wasn't my fault.

I think I got my counting inability quota for the week when I took a closer look at the Essential Stripe Sweater I started knitting. It didn't seem big enough, so I thought, hmm, maybe my gauge went down to 20 stitches per 4 inches.

Nope.

It was 22 stitches per 4 inches. Wow! Time to remeasure the swatch, which also turned out to have 22 stitches per 4 inches. Whoops.

The weird thing is that this yarn is supposed to get 4 stitches per inch on size 8 needles. That's what I'd been planning on doing, but I swatched with my size 8s and didn't bother measuring the gauge because it was way too loose and just looked bad. Down to size 6s we go. That looked better, but apparently I miscounted my stitches.

It's nice to know that I fit in with the rest of the math team.

As for the yarn, the five balls that I haven't touched are going back to Elann. I don't think I have enough yarn to make a full sweater at that gauge, plus I wanted a quicker knit. The two balls that have been partially knit (and subsequently unravelled) may find themselves in scarf form.

No comments: