How to block your mom's Christmas sweater if you don't know what you're doing
Step 1: Realize that you've never really blocked anything before.
Step 2: Fill large mixing bowl with water and dunk sweater into bowl. Become entirely too amused by bubbles escaping from sweater. Pour out excess water and decide to squeeze sweater to remove water instead of wringing.
Step 3: Lay doubled towel out on top of washing machine.
Step 4: Take detour to answer cell phone, eat two brownies and a banana, check email, and start laundry.
Step 5: Lay wet sweater out on top of towel and try to flatten out curling edges. Think, Hmm, I wonder if I should have woven in the ends and had crocheting boyfriend help with the neck/armhole edges before blocking. Oh well, too late now.
Step 6: Check size of sweater against one of mom's sweaters. Be happy that the two are approximately the same size.
Step 7: Decide to place another towel on top of sweater to keep the edges flat.
Step 8: Notice that wet sweater bears strong resemblance to dogs getting a bath, be thankful that sweater doesn't wriggle as much as dogs do, and wonder how long it will take to dry.
I know my mom hates to have to go on business trips, but this one is proving useful--it would be hard, make that impossible, to block a sweater in the laundry room if she was home. The blocking gods must be in a good mood, because on top of that, I have a week where I'm not unbelievably busy, so I have time to block.
A question: I'm knitting a plain stockinette hat with a cabled brim for my dad. Should I block the hat when I'm done?
Monday, December 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment