Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas gifts, part I

It might not be the smartest idea to leave photos of knitted Christmas gifts just sitting on the server at my house. My dad is a techie by training, I'm going to be a computer engineering major, and my brothers all know their way around a computer. Luckily, the only one inclined to snoop is not getting a knitter Christmas present this year--he didn't want one.

But just to be safe, I'm saving the pictures on my hard drive.

Mom's Picovoli

Pattern: Picovoli by Grumperina

Yarn: Filature di Crose Zara in navy blue pilfered from my mom's stash, 6 or 7 balls. I love this yarn.

Needles: Addi Turbo circular needles, U.S. size 3

Notes: I made myself a Tivoli (an earlier incarnation of this top) in Dale of Norway Svale. My mom liked it and hinted that she would like one to go with her blue and orange skirt. She's had the yarn for about five years and never used it. In fact, she still doesn't know that it's gone.

Dad's hat

Pattern: My own, a basic beanie pattern with cabled rib at the brim

Yarn: Plymouth Galway in a dark heather grey, 1 skein
The color is like the top photo, not like the close-up.

Needles: Susan Bates (I think) circular needle and bamboo DPNs, U.S. size 6

Notes: I didn't like this yarn that much at first, but this has turned out very nicely. One thing that I really noticed about it is that the stitches are very even.
I had originally planned on putting cables all over the hat, but decided it would be more manly with just a cabled brim.

A closeup of the cables:

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I love that cabled hat - lucky Dad!