I've got about six or so inchs of work on the body of my Vintage Cotton tank top. I had a scare this morning when I decided to measure around the bottom to check that it was the right size--it was 3 or 3 1/2 inchs bigger than it was supposed to be!
Hmm. Time to check the gauge. It's 7 stitches per inch, just like it's supposed to be.
Then I decided to lay the top out as flat as it would go and measure across the bottom front. I got the right number this time. *Whew* This should fit, then.
I'm trying something that I think is a little bit different on this top. Most of the knitted cotton tops I see are simply sized with an inch or two of negative ease so that the top will not become a handknit potato sack when the cotton stretches out. This makes sense to me, but how much negative ease to use?
My swatch stretched pretty easily from 7 to 6.5 stitches per inch, so I decided to cast on enough stitches to almost go around me at 6.5 stitches per inch. For numbers reasons and because I didn't want underestimate the stretch, I decided to make it just a little bit smaller. So we'll see how it turns out!
I'm going to try to finish the waist increases tonight while not watching the Rose Bowl.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I break out into a cold sweat trying to figure out what size to make something fitted, like a top or sweater. What are the chances it's actually gonna fit?? You seem to do very well with this! You're my hero!
Post a Comment