Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Ribbit!

A revelation: right after posting about how my mom turned out the be right, I became increasingly unsatisfied with the Vintage Cotton tank top. It's been frogged. The more I tried it on, the worse it looked. The waist was about an inch too low, the armholes were too big, it stretched out more than I had expected, et cetera, et cetera.

Back to the drawing board!

Expected Modifications for Vintage Cotton Tank Top Version 2.0:
1: Cast on 12 fewer stitches
2: Knit a longer section before waist shaping. I don't like for my stomach to show.
3: Waist shaping--switch SSKs and K2togs, decrease every third row 9 times, knit 3/4 inch, increase every third row 9 times. Either move "darts" further in or just put the shaping near where the side seams would go.
4: Make the section above waist shaping about 4.5 inches, rather than just over 5. This ought to get the waist in the right place.
5: Figure out something I can do to the V-neck and armholes (garter stitch?) to avoid having to crochet. I am NOT a crocheter.

Also, this thing needs a name. No more "Vintage Cotton tank top"! I'm thinking possibly Mariposa ("butterfly" in Spanish), Guapita (Guapa translates to "good looking", guapita is the diminuative), or Fleur ("flower" in French). Any votes, or any other suggestions?

No comments: