
And the Socktoberfest questionnaire:
When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I learned last summer, so maybe late July/early August of 2005. I taught myself, with some help from the internet, sort of on a whim. I had bought two balls of Dale of Norway Baby Ull and some size 1 DPNs to knit iPod cases, and one of the balls turned into socks.
What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was a pair of bright purple footies known on the old blog (and in my digital photo file) as the "grape" socks. They've held up okay, I think. I haven't seen them in a while because I gave them to my mom and I think she generally just wears them to bed during his business trips to Canada.
What would you have done differently?
Well, for starters, I would have made them a lot smaller rather than figuring, "Hey, I have pretty big feet. I think I'm going to cast on 72 stitches." 72 stitches would work now, because I've started knitting a lot tighter, but not then. Luckily, my mom's feet are two sizes bigger than mine are.
And I would have grafted the toe rather than turning them inside out and using the three-needle bind off on the toe. I did this on my first two pairs, and it makes for an uncomfortable sock.
What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
My favorite would probably have to been Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock, but I also like Koigu KPM/KPPPM and Plymouth Sockotta. Plymouth Sockotta isn't my favorite to knit with, but it makes soft, machine-washable and -dryable socks that are more weather-appropriate here in SoCal.
Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I've always used 5 DPNs. I wouldn't mind using circulars, but I don't have any small enough so I've never tried it.
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I usually knit short-row heels, but I've used a heel flap once and an afterthough heel once. I don't really have a favorite type... Actually, now that I think about it, I don't like knitting heels. But I don't like tube socks, so I do anyway.
How many pairs have you made?
12. But 4 of those pairs have been for guys, so I'd like to think that those count for a little bit more than 1 pair each because they're so huge.
No comments:
Post a Comment