Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Leafy Socks


Pattern: Toe-up with short row heels and toes using Kaity's method and a leafy lace pattern over 68 stitches
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Cherry, 1 skein
Needles: Susan Bates Silvalume DPNs, U.S. size 1 (2.25 mm)
Gauge: 8.5 stitches/inch over stockinette stitch
Started: June 2, 2007
Finished: June 20, 2007

I didn't do these the way I normally do toe-up socks because I couldn't find my crochet hooks to do a provisional cast-on, and was having trouble getting my Magic Cast-On at the toe to work. So I cast on 68 stitches using the Magic Cast-On, stuck the stitches from one needle onto waste yarn to hold them, then knit my toe using the stitches on the second needle. Then I put the stitches on waste yarn back onto needles and started knitting in the round. It worked out pretty well. I may even keep doing toe-up socks like this.

The funny thing about this stitch pattern is that I saw it somewhere, liked it, made a mental note of what it looked like, then reproduced it on graph paper. But I can't seem to remember where I originally saw it. I could have sworn it was in a shawl on a blog post, but I've checked the finished projects posts for all the blogs I read regularly, so it's still a mystery. But I did a spy a sweater with a stitch pattern that was exactly the same save for a different double decrease in the middle of each leaf (I did a sl 1, k2tog, psso decrease, while the other decrease was a sl 2 stitches as if to k2tog, k1, pass both slipped stitches over) while browsing at the mall last weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely! Did you like the short row method?

Anonymous said...

Hey Marion, I was trying to email you the interview Meme questions, but the email address I have for you doesn't seem to work. Maybe I have it spelled wrong? Could you shot me an email (doozer2004 AT sbcglobal DOT net) so I have the right one? thanks.