Thursday, October 18, 2007

Swatches and Another Broken Camera

Sometime between Tuesday and Friday of last week, I managed to break my camera again. This time it was just the screen, so I can still take pictures, but I can't change the settings and I'm pretty sure it's not set on the standard settings. And I can't preview pictures, either, which stinks.

But, even though most of the pictures I tried to take of my recent knitting came out horribly (including my F.O. shots of the Waving Lace socks for my mom), I still got a picture of my swatches!

One swatch on U.S. size 8 needles, one on U.S. size 9.

I ordered Knitting Without Tears a few days ago; it should get here tomorrow or Friday. Then, after D decides which swatch he likes better, and whether he would prefer hems or ribbing on his sweater, I'll be able to start.

I'm leaning towards the swatch on the larger needles. The stitch gauges are virtually identical on the two swatches, but the row gauge is 7 rows/inch with the larger needles and 6 rows/inch with the smaller needles. I wouldn't have thought that would make that big of a difference, but the swatch with the smaller needles is a lot stiffer. I would use that if I was knitting a jacket and wanted the stability to sew a zipper in, but I think that some drape would be better for a pullover.

Plus, with the size 9's, I'll have to knit 15% fewer rows!

No comments: